Carbon Monoxide

How to Protect Your Home From Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of incomplete combustion. It is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and potentially deadly. Burning any fuel in your home, including natural gas, may produce it. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to influenza and may include headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, burning eyes, chest pains, and inability to think clearly. To reduce your risk, make sure gas appliances are properly vented.

Also, make sure your entire home is adequately ventilated, especially if you recently installed insulation, had major renovations done, or have enclosed your heating system to increase living space. Natural gas should always burn blue and have a steady flame. Appliances should not have soot above the burner.

Any home that is burning any fuel in the home should have a carbon monoxide alarm that meets current standards.

If you notice yellow flames or wavering flames or soot with your gas appliance, contact a natural gas appliance repair company for service. If you have any questions about carbon monoxide or natural gas, MGED's Gas Division at 508-947-1535.