MGED Weatherization & Insulation Rebates Details and Terms
What you'll need to know before you install or apply
Air Sealing Rebates are available. Middleborough Gas and Electric Department are pleased to assist customers in making energy efficiency improvements to their home. Learn what measures make sense for your home by calling our Home Energy Hotline at 888-772-4242. Schedule a free Energy Audit and you'll be provided with a list of energy-saving recommendations. Complete any of the qualifying recommendations and receive a rebate for half of the cost, up to $500 for most measures, and up to $1,000 for insulation!
To be eligible for the MGED Home Energy Improvement Rebate incentive:
- All qualifying measures must be recommended by a recent MGED/Energy New England Energy audit before installation.
- No added room or space (renovation or new construction) that adds to the home's heating load will be eligible unless new load is neutralized by increased insulation/air sealing in the other areas. This will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Work must be started and completed from January 1st to December 31st, for this rebate cycle. Work completed in the following year will be eligible for that year's rebate offering, if available.
- Qualifying measures must be listed on the audit report and include;
- Insulation, including Attic (& ventilation), Wall, Basement, and Rim Joist (up to $1,000)
- Air sealing measures such as caulking, weather stripping, and gaskets (up to $500)
- Heating system pipe and duct insulation (up to $500)
- Work can be done by the homeowner, a contractor, or a combination of the two. Where applicable, the contractor must be licensed for the work performed;
- The rebate will be sent to the customer, up to 50% of the total job cost, including materials and labor, or $500- whichever is less. (up to $1,000 for wall, full attic, or basement insulation) Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing. Limit one home-efficiency rebate per customer per calendar year. Multi-family homeowners may apply per unit, up to 4 units;
- Each application must include the original sales receipt and product information (and the final invoice from any contracted work with detailed specifications of work performed, if applicable). Proof of payment is also required.
- All work may be inspected by a qualified technician to verify correct installation for maximum energy savings. MGED reserves the right to inspect installations by Department personnel.
To apply, follow these steps:
- Read the Terms and Conditions above to ensure you qualify for the rebate.
- Call the Energy New England toll-free hotline at 888-772-4242 to schedule your free Energy Audit. THEN complete recommended improvements.
- Prepare an electronic scan or copy of your itemized receipt(s) to upload online and include any contractor information including name, address, and phone number.
- Return to the main MGED Rebates web page and click on Ready to Apply beside the insulation rebate notice and follow the instructions on the Energy New England rebate page to apply online. Call the Energy New England toll-free hotline if you are having difficulty applying online.
- All applications and itemized receipts must be completed for current rebate availability.
Read this handy section of the Energy Savers guide to learn more about Air Sealing and Insulating your home: