- Energy Savings, Rebates, and Ways to Save
- Solar Energy
- Renewable Distributed Generation (25kW-150kW)
Renewable Distributed Generation (25kW-150kW)
Middleborough Gas and Electric Department offers Renewable Distributed Generation (RDG) for solar arrays sized 25kW-150kW AC. Solar arrays that fall within RDG guidelines, will receive a quarterly check or possible account credit for any excess generation produced.
In order to qualify for a rebate, all Solar RECs must be committed to MGED’s portfolio. MGED is currently offering a solar rebate of $0.50/W (not to exceed $50,000). RDG rebates are paid-out over four (4) years. MGED Rebate Application
An Interconnection Application (PDF) must be submitted to MGED for pre-approval and to apply for eligibility on the RDG solar array to receive a MGED Reservation Letter which would verify if your qualified for a rebate. MGED will require a circuit study which a fee will apply. The cost of which will vary based on the size of the proposed array.
Please read the RDG Guide (PDF) thoroughly before applying for interconnection.
Any proposals for solar arrays larger than 150kW, must be presented to MGED management for consideration. Please call Dani Taylor at 508-947-1371 or send an email to: [email protected] for more information.
Install & Connect Solar for MGED:
If installing a solar array, the array will be connected to your home’s electrical panel and our electric distribution system through MGED’s electric meter. You are required to have MGED Interconnection Approval first.
Submit the following by email:
Apply for Interconnection:
- Completed Renewable Distributed Generation Interconnection Application (This form must be printed and attached as a PDF)
- A one-line drawing of your generation system (Sample PDF)
- Specifications showing the materials (panels and inverters)
- Email all documents to: [email protected]
- System owners will receive notice directly from MGED that their system and materials have been approved for installation. MGED will share this information with the system owner’s contractor as well.
Interconnection Application Fee:
- MGED will invoice the system owners for the circuit study fee. Fees vary depending on the of the proposed array and the size of the circuit study needed.
Apply for the RDG Solar Rebate
- In order to ensure eligibility for a rebate, MGED strongly recommends to wait an additional 4 to 6 weeks for the rebate reservation letter from MGED before starting the installation
- System design must meet specific program requirements for size limit, azimuth, and shading in order to qualify for the RDG rebate of $.50 per watt.
- A Locus Meter in addition to MGED’s production meter must be included in your installation to be eligible for the RDG rebate.
- The following documents are required to upload for the rebate:
- Proof of Property Ownership
- Shade Study
- Locus Meter
- Solar Contract between Homeowner and Contractor
- Please contact MGED to apply and/or for more information 508-947-1371
- Installation must be completed within 1 year of receiving the rebate reservation letter.
- A Manual Disconnect located adjacent to the meter box containing the existing MGED meter is required by MGED.
- As a reminder: Make sure your installer is aware of the Locus Meter needed in order to qualify for the rebate.
- Be sure to obtain the necessary permits. System owner (or their contractor/installer) must obtain an electrical permit from their town wiring inspector before installation begins.
- After installation is complete, the system owner or their contractor should call the town wiring inspector for a final inspection.
- Once the solar array is inspected by the Town, an MGED technician will need to complete a system inspection prior to activation. MGED will then complete a Certificate of Completion and will send the system owner a copy along with a Permission to Operate letter.
If Qualified for a MLP Solar Rebate
- MGED will verify operation of the solar array and will arrange for payment of the system owner’s rebate. Most rebates are issued within 8-10 weeks of receiving all required documentation. MGED will retain all future rights to Solar RECs as a condition of providing the rebate.
- MGED permission to Operate Letter
- Completed Locus Meter Connection Form
- Picture of Locus meter powered on
- Proof of Payment
- Change Forms (if applicable)
- Updated Shade Report and Paid Tree Removal Invoice (if applicable)
- About applying for an installation: Contact MGED customer service at 508-947-1371, Monday- Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM
- About why and how solar could work for you: Schedule a Free Phone/Online Consultation with Abode Here