If you don't see your own question listed, please use our contact form to add to our FAQs. We'll do our best to answer quickly.
Do you still read my meter?
- Yes, we are reading meters as we drive or walk by and will not need to speak directly with you. If you have an inside meter, it will be estimated for the next billing period. If this status changes, we’ll estimate bills and let you know.
What if there’s a storm and power goes out? Will crews still be around to get us back on?
- Yes, we are working to keep essential personnel including crews safe from exposure. We are still working normally with storm preparation activities as necessary. As the pandemic response increases, we may preposition trucks and crews from separate locations, such as the homes of our crews, to limit exposure.
If I see something like a problem with a wire or other equipment, should I still call to report it?
- Yes, we’re still responding to any trouble that could impact service. If it is an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, our work continues as normal. You can report online 24/7 through the Outage Center. You can also our Electric Division at (508) 947-3023 or our Gas Division at (508) 947-1535.
What safety precautions is MGED taking for customers and employees if a technician needs to enter a home?
- If our work requires that a technician enter a home or business, we are implementing additional safety measures, including:
- Asking additional screening questions regarding the health of the individuals at the property, asking customers to report on any recent travel, or potential exposure to Coronavirus.
- Providing guidance for our employees to maintain a safe distance (minimum of six feet) from customers, avoid handshaking, and advising customers to remain in another room while work is being completed.
- Using proper protection such as safety glasses and disposable gloves.
If I have a question about my bill, can I still talk with someone there?
- Yes, our Customer Service representatives are still here. Call during normal buisiness hours, 8:30 AM to 5 PM. However they're may be a delay because we are limiting staff in the office to meet social distancing requirements. You can also contact us at MGED.com website, 24/7, for a response by email or phone on the next business day.
What if I’m not signed up to pay online? Can I still, at least, see my bill or how much I’m using?
- Yes, you can just view your bill using the payment portal 24/7. You can also call to get help learning how to to pay online, go paperless and even switch back later if you want to.
I’m worried that I can’t pay my bill this month. What should I do?
- MGED will not be shutting off services for non-payment during this challenging time. We ask that you call our customer service representatives to make a plan to catch up on your utility bill as soon as you can and avoid a huge lump sum when the crisis has passed. Please call during business hours of 8:30 AM – 9AM, Monday through Friday. We’re here to help.
I am on Auto Pay and I worry that I may not have the funds available due to hardship – what can I do?
Auto payments can be turned off at any time by logging into your account or contacting our Customer Service representatives.
I received a call/email/text threatening to shut off my electric/gas service – was this MGED?
The COVID-19 outbreak has led to an increase in scam activity. MGED will never ask for your personal information over the phone in this manner and does not accept payments via gift cards or other common tools used by scammers. MGED is not disconnecting electric or gas service for non-payment for commercial or residential customers during this emergency period.